Thursday, September 25, 2008

Our Big Deal!






We did it!!!!
Yep, we successfully finished our first triathlon ever! And...it was a great experience (for the most part)!
It seriously was one of the best things I've ever done--signing up, training for it, and finishing the race (with a pretty decent time).
I've put off writing about it because I don't know how to capture what it really was all about to me. My friend, Heidi, may say it best when she describes it as "it's almost like having a baby". It's kind of what it feels like...like you've done something great. So, I know there are triathletes all over the place and this may seem common, but to us it's a huge deal! And it's NOT a one time, check-it-off-the-list sort of thing. I want to do more! I LOVE being outside swimming, riding my bike or running (if you can get past the actual running part) :)
Now I think I'm having some post-race let down. I need something new to look forward to.
So, here's a bit about the race...
the SWIM--Yikes! My "wave" had 150 women all start at the same time! That was craziness! I kept bumping into people and they kept bumping into me. The thing is, every time I would hit into someone, I'd pull up and say sorry (as if we could help it), so I felt like I was never in a good groove. It felt like forever in the water though my swim actually clocked in at only 18 minutes. We swam 1000 meters which is .6 of a mile. Doesn't sound very long huh? Next time you're in your car, just map it out and think to yourself, "I'd still be swimming....STILL swimming...STILL swimming. Are you kidding me??" Then add 150 extra bodies to that equation that are all kicking and gasping for life. Ha ha.
So, Bob had quite a time in the water. He separated his shoulder in June and swam only TWICE in preparation for this event. Let the record show that he did NOT take his wife's advice of getting a cortasone shot a week prior so he could train every day. He did NOT take his wife's advice of trying out the wetsuit prior to the event. That wetsuit was too small and he felt like he couldn't breathe so he unzipped a bit, only to haul part of the lake along on his swim with him. Therefore, he spent twice as long as I did in the water and did NOT enjoy that part of the tri.
So, I have to say it...I beat him. Yep. The swim, his dislocated shoulder, plus his head cold he was dealing with all conspired against him and I came in about 13 minutes ahead. So I can take this moment of glory because I can predict that it will NEVER happen again.
The whole race course was beautiful this time of year with the fall colors starting. It was the perfect day for the race.
We had our friends racing too. Jon and Stacie Bready came up and stayed overnight at our cabin with us. We had a great time together. The next morning, our friend, Rebecca Abbott, joined us as well. Everyone did great and it was awesome!!
My awesome cousin, Kristin, and her family, Jordan and Charlie, came up to be our cheerleaders and hang out with our kids during the race. How awesome of them to help us out like that!! We also had a fun surprise of bright, posters to cheer us on! Bob's mom helped the kids make those. That was so thoughtful! THANKS to all who helped us along the way in so many ways!
It all combined to make up a great experience--a big deal indeed!

1 comment:

The Nelson Family Smorgasbord said...

What an honor it was to see the entire race in living color! You two are truly an inspiration!