Thursday, July 3, 2008

Separated shoulder

We had just arrived home from Lake Powell the night before. I was sound asleep in bed when the phone rang. So asleep that my thought process wasn't "the phone is ringing this early, there must be something wrong". Instead I was thinking, "noone even knows we're home yet so I'm going to sleep through this phone ringing". Liz got it.
It was our neighbor who went bike riding with Bob that morning. Yep...Bob was hurt. I hate that pit in your stomach when you hear bad news. I grabbed some clothes on and drove off to meet them (thankfully Liz went and told Tanner so he came with me--he knows where they ride).
About an hour, and a lot of pain, later the doctor at the ER told us Bob had a separated shoulder. It's actually something like a third degree separation of the AC. In layman terms, his ligament tore which held the bone in place so his bone is now separated and kind of free floating. You can see the bump up by his shoulder. In everyday terms it means Bob should be taking pain killers and letting it heal in a sling. He's doing neither. They laughed at him in the ER when they put the sling on and not 10 seconds later he asked what was going to happen when he didn't actually wear it. :)
We find out in about a week what the next steps are. I was going to take a picture of his broken helmet but he's already taken it back to Brady to get a new one...looking forward to matching shoulders already??

5 comments:

The Nelson Family Smorgasbord said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Nelson Family Smorgasbord said...

Oh no, Suz! That is terrible! I hope the pain has subsided...Bob sounds exactly like Jordan-Jordan would rather walk through fire than wear a sling! Anyway, we'll keep him in our prayers!

Julie said...

That is horrible. Brady told me the story a few days ago after talking to Bob. My favorite part that he told Brady! Nothing like a good AC seperation to keep ya from biking for a while. Sounds like he bit it pretty good. Good luck! We will keep you in our prayers....Surgery this week?

johnsun said...

I want to know how he crashed. Was it user or mechanical error? I'm not meaning to laugh at your pain. At least you can get high on the pain killers. John

johnsun said...

Oh ya, we'll keep you in our prayers, too. John